Friday, August 15, 2008

Musical Elective of the Week

The Musical Elective of the Week is Kasey Chambers.

Chambers, a 32-year-old Australian singer/songwriter, grew up in the bush and spent time as a youngster performing in The Dead Ringer Band, formed by her dad and mom, Bill and Diane Chambers.

Chambers' music is a mix of folk and country. To date, she has released four studio albums, beginning with The Captain in 1999 in her native Australia and in the U.S. in 2000. It was followed by Barricades & Brickwalls in 2001, Wayward Angel in 2004, and Carnival in 2006. 2008 brought a collaboration with husband and musician Shane Nicholson and produced the album Rattlin' Bones. (It will be released in the U.S. on September 16, 2008.)

Chambers is a huge star Down Under with all but her debut album having reached #1 on Australian music charts. In addition, she has received numerous Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Awards, including Best Female Artist, Best Country Album, Single of the Year, and Album of the Year.

For an introduction to Chambers' music, I'd recommend starting with her Barricades & Brickwalls album. It includes the title track as well as "Not Pretty Enough," "A Little Bit Lonesome" and "This Mountain."

Check out more at Kasey's website.

When I got home I got a honktonk song
I played it til my eyes went red
I grabbed a glass I said "kiss my ass"
I'm gonna drink you out of my head
-"A Little Bit Lonesome," from Barricades & Brickwalls (2002)

------------------------------------------

Extra Credit--Past Musical Electives of the Week:
Lucinda Williams
Great Big Sea
Griffin House
Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer
Neil Finn
Ray LaMontagne
Stuart Stotts
Dan Wilson
Kathleen Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment