Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Musical Elective Of The Week

The first Musical Elective of the Week for 2009 is Alejandro Escovedo.

While I had heard the name, I really discovered his music last month on WXRT while driving down to O'Hare to pick up Sara on her way back from Barcelona.

Escovedo's music is old-school rock 'n' roll. To me his voice echoes Warren Zevon and I hear influences of Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen in his sound. At this point, what I know of his music comes from his latest album, Real Animal, released in June 2008. The album has been mentioned on a number of musical top 10 lists for 2008. The single "Always A Friend" is what initially appealed to me and drew me in to listen to the other 12 album tracks.

Escovedo comes from a musical family. Fun fact: Sheila E (of Prince fame) is his niece. He has been playing music since the 1970s, beginning with the San Francisco punk band The Nuns and in bands around Austin, Texas in the 1980s. He released his first of nine solo albums in 1992. Over the years, he has collaborated with the likes of Ryan Adams and Chuck Prophet (who co-wrote all of the songs on Real Animal).

Escovedo turns 58 on Saturday. Happy birthday! Check out more at AlejandroEscovedo.com.

I lived in the Chelsea once on 7th and 23rd
we came to live inside the myth of everything we heard
the poets on their barstools, they just love it when it rains
they comb their hair in the mirror and grow addicted to the pain.
--"Chelsea Hotel '78," Real Animal (2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment