Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Things Are Looking Up

Well, sort of. In my family, not so much -- we've all been knocked out by various colds, pneumonia, ear infections, etc for the last 7 days. But out there in the wider world -- things are starting to look downright perky for education!

For example:

--4 separate times today articles about increasing funding for community colleges crossed my desk
--MDRC issued some much more intriguing results from their Opening Doors aid study
--Arne Duncan talked about increasing the Pell Grant
--I read, and enjoyed, two bright and interesting memos to Obama-- one by Davis Jenkins and Julian Alssid, and the other by Jamie Merisotis
--Sociologist extraordinaire Linn Posey accepted an offer to join my department!
-- I heard that Gates is starting a value-added initiative

I'm sure there's more to come. It feels like a whole new world with Arne and Barack (and LDH?) at the helm....

No comments:

Post a Comment